The Linux Ubuntu is one of the best Open-Source Linux Distro. The Ubuntu is famous due to its simplicity and the flexibility. The Ubuntu Distro comes with impressive features and simple User Interface for those who are novice yet want to use the Linux OS. There are many guides on the Internet to help people install Ubuntu on the computers. But, there are very limited guides to tell people about what to do after installing Ubuntu on the computer.
In this post, I will say about the Things to do after installing Ubuntu on the computer. There are many important things that you’ve to consider after installing the Ubuntu. If you miss any of these things to perform after installing the Ubuntu Distro in your Computer, then you may not enjoy Ubuntu that much.
Things to Do After Installing Ubuntu
This Guide is helpful for those who installed any of the latest Ubuntu Version. If you’ve installed the Different version of Ubuntu, like Kubuntu, Xubuntu or Lubuntu, then you don’t have to follow some of these things listed in the article.
Update the System
After installing Ubuntu, the first thing you’ve to do is to Update the System. You can perform this step irrespective of the Distribution you installed. There is an almost same procedure in every Linux distro to upgrade the system.
To Update Ubuntu follow these steps.
- Press “Ctrl+Alt+T” to open the Terminal. The Terminal can be opened from the Unity Dash. To access the Unity Das, Press “Super/Windows” key on your Keyboard and Search for Terminal.
- In the Terminal, you’ve to add the following code.
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
- Now, it’ll ask you to input the System Password. You’ve to enter the same password which you configured while installing the Ubuntu on your computer.
- After entering the password, the System will look for the Ubuntu Updates.
The Updates are pretty important for any Operating Systems. This is the First and Most important thing to do after installing the Ubuntu.
Install Application Center
The Default App Center in the Ubuntu Distro is not good compared to others. The Default Software Center in the Ubuntu is little but confusing. That’s why we are recommending to install third-party App Center which comes with better features than the default one. We’ve chosen the AppGrid as the third party App Center in Ubuntu. Here is the procedure to install AppGrid in your Ubuntu Installation.
- First of all, you’ve to open the Terminal Window. You can do it by Pressing “Ctrl+Alt+T” on your Keyboard or By Finding the Terminal from Dash.
- In the Terminal, you’ve to add AppGrid PPA to be able to download and install it. Here is the code to add PPA in Ubuntu.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:appgrid/stable
- Now, update the Repository with the command “Sudo Apt-get Update.”
- After Updating the repository, You can proceed to install the AppGrid. Enter the following command to install the AppGrid in your Ubuntu Installation.
Sudo Apt-get Install AppGrid
That’s it! The more great App Center is now installed in your system. You can find much more software for Linux Ubuntu from the AppGrid.
Install Additional Media Codecs
You’ve done the Sudo Update, but there is something we missed in step. The Media Codecs, essential for playing various types of Media Files is missing from the Ubuntu installation. To make sure we can Play Each and Every Media File in Ubuntu, it is better to install Media Codecs in Ubuntu.
- First of all, Open the AppGrid or any other App Center software you’ve installed in the System.
- In the App Center, search for “Ubuntu Restricted Extras.”
- Once you find it, install the Restricted Extras.
- Boom! You’ve successfully installed the Additional Media Codecs in the Ubuntu and ready to play all types of Media Files without any Issue.
Get Bigger Upgrades/Updates
Sometimes, just updating the Linux Distro is not enough. Many updates are essential but gigantic in size. That time, you’ve to use the following command to install great Distro Updates or Upgrades.
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
With this command, the Ubuntu will start installing the Major OS updates that are the necessary one.
Install Essential Applications
Many essential applications are not present in the basic Linux Ubuntu installation. You’ve to install them manually to use them for day-to-day use. I am listing out some of the essential Linux Ubuntu applications installation commands which will help you to install them quickly.
- Synaptic Package Manager : – Package Manager or directly the Program installer.
sudo apt-get install synaptic
- VLC Media Player : – One of the Best Media Player made for Linux Distros.
sudo apt-get install vlc
- GIMP : – It is the powerful and Open-Source alternative for the Adobe Photoshop. It is an essential application for Graphics Designer. Photo Editors, etc.
sudo apt-get install gimp
sudo apt-get install gimp-data
sudo apt-get install gimp-plugin-registry
sudo apt-get install gimp-data-extras
Install Google Chrome
The Google Chrome is not only the famous Web Browser from the Google, but is the best, fast and easy-to-use web browser. There are many people who use only Google Chrome on their computer and rarely use any other program. Thanks to Google, we have access to the Easy Installation package of Chrome for Linux. You can download the installation package from the Chrome Download Page and install it by double-clicking on it.
Download Google Chrome for Linux from here.
Install Firewall for Linux
Frankly Speaking, there is no need of installing any Anti-Virus Software in Linux. But, the Firewall is must to install in any Operating System, even in the Linux. So, we are going to install GUFW firewall in our ubuntu installation.
To install GUFW in Ubuntu, open the Terminal by Searching it from Dash or press “Ctrl+Alt+T” amd paste below-mentioned command.
sudo apt-get install gufw
You’ve completed all of the necessary things to do after installing Linux Ubuntu. The Linux Ubuntu is one of the Best Linux Distribution developed by Canonical. The Ubuntu breaks the misconceptions about Ubuntu for being unattractive and focused for PRO people. If you are facing any problem while using any of the command mentioned in this post, please comment down below.